Find Bulgaria website collects only minimal technical data about your visit.
By pressing the Confirm button, you agree to their provision and to the rules of use of the website
GDPR - the law on the protection of personal data.
Cherepish monastery Bulgaria
SPRING SUMMER AUTUMN WINTER
Cherepish monastery
VIEWS 2430
Welcome in Bulgaria

Cherepish monastery

Cherepish monastery dates to the Second Bulgarian State.

Monastery with 14th-century roots in a river gorge, featuring a church icons in an onsite museum.
The origin of the Cherepish monastery dates to the Second Bulgarian State. It was built during the rule of Tsar Ivan Shishman (1371-1393), if judging from a document, preserved in the Sofia church, historical and archeological museum. During the time of the Ottoman domination, the cloister was ruined and set on fire more than once. At the end of the 16th century, it was reconstructed by St Pimen of Sofia. During the times of the Bulgarian Renaissance, the monastery grew into a cultural and educational centre. It hosted a monastery school, while books, saints biographies and gospels were written and rewritten there. Relics such as the Cherepish Gospel, enclosed in golden bindings in 1512 and decorated with scenes from the bible, as well as the Gospel of Monk Danail and the Book of the Apostles of Jacob, all date to that period. St Sofronii of Vratza seeks and finds shelter in the monastery in 1797. Between 1872 and 1876, the monastery is visited by the Vratza revolutionary committee, plotting against the Turks, and the central revolutionary committee. The Rashov Dol place, where the last battle of Botevs detachment of rebels against the Turks, led by Georgi Apostolov, lies in the neighbourhood of the Cherepish monastery. In addition, the cloister was visited by the famous Bulgarian writer Ivan Vazov in 1889 and 1907, while in 1897 another renowned author, Aleko Konstantinov, dropped by here during his tour of the region. Following his visit to the monastery, Konstantinov publishes one of his popular travel notes, Bulgarian Switzerland. Old Christian churches have been found in the area surrounding the monastery. A large part of the cloister was renovated and restored in recent times. A monastery school has been open for year at the monastery, the theological institute and the Sofia orthodox seminary. The numerous picturesque buildings of the cloister, most of which were build leave a strong impression on visitors around 1836 by father Yosif. The St Georges church which keeps its original design and a part of its frescoes (painted in the 19th century by a priest, Yoanikii) despite repeated reconstructions, together with the bone-vault, which perches from a steep rock over one of the buildings, stands out among the buildings in the complex. The church represents a one-nave building with a spacious entrance, an open gallery and a pointed dome. An iconostasis with fine woodcarvings and a representation of the burial of Christ, embroidered in 1844, are some of the impressive items of the interior. The Cherepish monastery is a declared monument of culture of national significance.

Accommodation
Following a thorough renovation in the summer of 2006, the Cherepish monastery already offers food and accommodation. The monasterys dining hall, the so-called magernitsa, is open to guests and can accommodate up to 35 people. It offers traditional monastery meals and Bulgarian cuisine. The hotel part of the monastery, in turn, can host up to 30 people in rooms for 3, 4 or 6 people with bathrooms. The price per bed (as of November, 2006) is 10 leva (approx. 5 euro) per night. Children up to 5 years of age are accommodated free of charge while those up to 12 years use 50% discount. Tourist groups can negotiate prices directly with the monasterys staff.

Transport
The Cherepish monastery is easy to reach by car if one sets off from Sofia, following the road to Mezdra, which goes down the Iskar rivers defile. A small asphalt offroad, which leads to the gates of the monastery starts about 15km before one enters Mezdra.

The Cherepish monastery was built during the Second Bulgarian Empire, under the rule of Tsar Ivan Shishman (1371-1393). Like many other Bulgarian monasteries, it was destroyed several times under Ottoman rule.

About this building
The St Georges church of the monastery has kept its original design since the 16th century. The frescoes that decorated the walls were painted in the 19th century.

The numerous caves around Cherepish made it the perfect hiding place for Bulgarians during the Russo-Turkish war (1877-78). The last battle against the Turks, led by Georgi Apostolov, was fought in the neighbouring area of the Cherepish Monastery. Legend has it that before leaving, the Turks hid gold and relics in some of the caves near the monastery. Many other legends of monks who discovered a cave full of gold still survive from this period.

Today, the area surrounding the monastery has many hiking routes along the Iskar river. The renowned Bulgarian writer Aleko Konstantinov referred to this area as the Bulgarian Switzerland. The monastery also offers accommodation for up to 30 guests.

The monastery dates back to the Second Bulgarian Kingdom during the reign of Tsar Ivan Shishman. A cell school was established next to it, where books, biographies and gospels were written and transcribed. Relics such as the Gospel of the Tile, bound in 1512 with gold covers and decorated with biblical scenes, date from that time. In 1797, St. Sophrony of Vratsa took refuge in the Assumption of the Virgin. In the monastery you will see a museum corner of the poet Ivan Vazov, a chapel - ossuary, Rushids house and the church St. George.

How to get there: 30 km. from the town of Vratsa to the town of Sofia through the Iskar Gorge.
GPS: 43º0545.15 N 23º3616.07 E

Practical information:
Cherepish Monastery is a functioning male monastery. The temple holiday is celebrated on August 15 - the Day of the Holy Mother of God. The monastery offers accommodation. Sermons in the Cherepish Monastery are given by the priests in Bulgarian. When visiting the monastery complex, some rules of dress and behavior must be observed. All visitors, regardless of gender, should wear clothing that covers their shoulders, elbows and knees. It is undesirable to speak loudly and make noise.

Contacts:
The monastery is open all year round: 7:00 - 20:00.