Find Bulgaria website collects only minimal technical data about your visit.
By pressing the Confirm button, you agree to their provision and to the rules of use of the website
GDPR - the law on the protection of personal data.
The Bachkovo Monastery Bulgaria
SPRING SUMMER AUTUMN WINTER
The Bachkovo Monastery
VIEWS 1556
Welcome in Bulgaria

The Bachkovo Monastery

The Bachkovo Monastery of the Dormition of the Theotokos.

The Bachkovo Monastery of the Dormition of the Theotokos, archaically the Petritsoni Monastery or Monastery of the Mother of God. Petritzonitissa is a major Eastern Orthodox monastery in Southern Bulgaria.

The second largest Bulgarians monastery is situated close to the village of Bachkovo, about 10 km south of Asengovrad and 25 km south of Plovdiv, in the foothills of the Rhodope Mountain. It was established in 1083 by the Georgian Gregory Bakuriani and was renovated in the end of XVI and the early XVII century, when the south wing of the building and the present monastery church Virgin Mary were built. The monastery is still functioning and its annual holiday is on August 15.

Entrance of the monastery
The mural at the entrance to the monastery indicates that it is Stavropigial (one of the three Stavropigial monasteries in Bulgaria). Its present-day status is a continuation of an ancient tradition laid down at the founding of the monastery.

Main Monastery Church
The main church, the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, was built in 1604 on the foundations of another old church.

The Bachkovo Monastery Assumption of the Virgin
The well-preserved iconostasis of the main church is one of the earliest in Bulgaria. Some of the icons date from the time the church was built, while others were painted at the end of the 18th century. The main icon in the monastery, the Miraculous Icon of the Holy Virgin, is also located in teh church.

The Bachkovo Monastery Assumption of the Virgin
The largest exterior mural painting in Bulgaria is located on the exterior wall of the Old Dining Room. It was built in the middle of the 19th century and presents the monastery and the surrounding areas, participants in the procession, the exit of Asenovgrad and chapels in the area. On both sides of the central composition are depictions of saints of war.

Church of St. Nicholas
Church of St. Nicholas, located in the southern monastery courtyard, was built in the period 1834-1836. It was painted by the renowned Renaissance artist Zahari Zograf. The church is active and baptisms take place there.

Museum of Bachkovo Monastery
The monastery has its own museum, which holds many ancient church objects related to its history.

There are many sacred places in Bulgaria which maintained the faith and the spirit of the Bulgarian people in times of difficulties and suffering. One of these places is the Bachkovo Monastery – Assumption of Virgin Mary (Bachkovski manastir, Бачковски манастир „Успение на Пресвета Богородица). In 10-th century, when the monastery was founded, this area was on the territory of the Byzantium Empire. The man who redeemed the land from the Emperor Alexios I Komnenos was his friend Grigorii Bakuriani, the superior of this region. Large part of the resources, needed for the construction of the monastery was given by Abasii, the brother of Gregorii, who was also considered as a founder. At the time of its establishment, the monastery was the third largest in Byzantium with its 50 monks. Most of them were Georgians and Armenians, brought along from the two Bakuriani brothers. It is not known what nationality were the brothers. There is assumption that they were either Georgians or Armenians.

Bachkovo Monastery
The independence of the monastery was declared with special document issued by the Emperor himself and that state remained unchanged till the moment when the Turks took possession of Bulgaria. The two founders’ last will was to be buried in the monastery but that wish was fulfilled only for Ambasii despite that he died long before the final construction of the monastery. His brother, Gregorii, died three years after the foundation and his body was never found. There is a hypothesis that the last Bulgarian patriarch Euthymius has found salvation and subsequently died behind the monastery walls after the Turks captured the last Bulgarian capital – Veliko Tarnovo.

The main church in the monastery complex is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It keeps inside its bosom the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary with the child Jesus Christ, which according the legend is a copy, original of it painted by Luke the Evangelist. There is a legend, according to which the icon flew by itself from Georgia and in the place where it landed flushed a holy spring (ayazmo, аязмо). The monks carried the icon to the church but on the next day it gets back to the same place where it landed, in the area named Kluviyata. Then, one night a monk had a dream and he dreamed Holy Mother who told him to put the icon on the right side of the entrance of the church so she can be close to the people and see if their hearts are pure and good. Every year, on the second day of Easter, the miraculous icon is getting back to the place where it was found – Kluviyata, carried on the shoulders of the believers who are searching for help and support.

The oldest church inside the monastery is St.Arch Angels Michael and Gabriel, left standing from the years of the establishment of the complex. At the time of excavations inside the church were found bones and according to some scientist they belonged to the last Bulgarian patriarch Euthymius but that is not proven yet. Large part of the wall-paintings in the complex is made by the famous Bulgarian mural painter – Zahariy Zograf (Захари Зограф). Other interesting building is the Ossuary (Kostnitzata, Костницата), situated 300 m east from the monastery. Inside it are preserved frescoes from 11-th century and four large portraits of the main church-donors among the years.

The outstanding history is just the one side of this beautiful place. The other side is the amazing nature. Right in front of the main entrance of the monastery is the beginning of the beautiful trail named The Green Path and it leads to the area Kluviyata. The start of the path is marked by a small green door and a sign. The whole route passes through the biggest reserve in the Rhodopa Mountains named the Red Wall Reserve (rezervat Chervenata stena). The reserve is inhabited of many rare plants and animals, like the flower of Orpheus – Haberlea Rhodopensis (Rodopski silivryak, Родопски силивряк). There is a great diversity of birds and reptiles too. After a short walk, on the left side of the road, you will reach the Ossuary, which we´ve already mentioned. Enjoying of this relaxing hike under the old trees, unnoticeable you will see in front of you large glade and the wind will waft the sound of the two beautiful waterfalls. It is a perfect place to take a breath and continue ahead toward the picturesque path. Not far away from the waterfalls there is another glade and in the wood behind it is the place where the miraculous icon was found – Kluviyata. Of course the holy spring – Ayazmoto is there too. Do not miss to take a sip from it and wash your face for health and welfare. All over the spring are placed many benches and tables just like along the whole route.

Several meters after the chapel a steep path will take you to the Cave – small house, high on the rocks. According the legend that is the place where the monks from the cloister hid a very valuable icon when the Turks occupied the area. After centuries, a shepherd found the icon and gets it back in the monastery, where it is until today. Wooden icons have replaced the original at the chapel and there is set a book where everyone can put down a prayer. The walk to the final step of the trail passes along the wide natural ground surrounded with wooden handrail from where is revealing a magnificent view to the mountains. At the end of this walking route is the chapel St.Arch Angels. The whole hiking itinerary took two hours, going and returns, and It is a perfect way to stirred yourself, especially if you have visited one of the many restaurants around the monastery.